Hello there people! As you read in the title, yes I am deciding to jump on the bandwagon of other naturals on youtube and follow the Curly Girl Method. This will actually be my second attempt of this method for people with curly hair. This method strongly suggests that you stay away from silicones in your hair to prevent dryness and breakage. It also strongly suggests that you stay away from sulfate shampoos, if you decide to use shampoo at all. This method created by Lorraine Massey, encourages that you use conditioner only to wash or co-wash your hair. I know it sounds yucky at first, but it is proven that conditioner gently cleanses your hair too.
I'm excited to try this method again, as I have been experiencing a lot of dryness in my hair. I feel like I have been buying so many different products to keep my hair moisturized. This curly girl method can eventually save me so much money because the only products you will need are conditioners (any that is silicone free), water, and an oil (to seal in moisture).
I hope to God that this works the second time around, as I have been researching other naturals journeys so far. I am going to post pictures of my progress on this method. Here is a picture of day one:
Here's what I did:
1. I washed my hair with a sulfate shampoo for the last time to remove any build-up.
2. I conditioned my hair with Tresemme Naturals and rinsed it out.
3. I deep conditioned my hair for about 30 minutes with Shea Moisture's Deep Treatment Masque mixed with honey and extra virgin olive oil. As I deep conditioned my hair I sectioned my hair in four parts. As I applied the the deep conditioner I detangled each part and twisted the detangled sections. Then I covered it with a plastic cap.
4. After 30 minutes, I rinsed out the deep conditioner (with the twists still in) and towel dried my hair.
5. I began to unravel the twists, one at a time, and applied Suave Naturals conditioner to each section. I then applied the Ecostyler Olive Oil Gel on top of the conditioner. As I was applying I noticed that there was some small white flakes forming but I ignored it and continued to do my hair. I did this to my entire head.
6. Once it was complete I used the blow dryer, on a warm setting with the diffuser attachment, to dry my hair. The flakes from the conditioner and gel combination disappeared as my hair dried!
7. Once my hair was about 70% dry I put my hair into 5 ponytails (pineapple) and banded my hair at the ends. Then I went to sleep!
When I woke up this is what I got (with a little fluffing of course!). I am very pleased with the results of Day 1 of the Curly Girl Method. I will continue to share my journey with you!